2014-2015 Undergraduate Catalog: Degree Requirements and Academic Policies

Each student is responsible for the proper completion of his or her academic program, for familiarity with the Catalog, for maintaining the grade point average required, and for meeting all other degree requirements.  Students assume academic and financial responsibility for the courses in which they enroll and are relieved of these responsibilities only by formally terminating enrollment.

Academic Advising

Each student at UNC Charlotte is assigned an academic advisor or advisory committee in the student's major field of study.  Students who have declared a major, or pre-major, should seek advising from their advisor in their College’s advising center or department.  Students who have more than one major should seek advice from each of their assigned advisors in each academic department.  Students who have not chosen or been admitted to a major or pre-major program are enrolled as students of University College (UCOL) and are assigned an advisor from the University Advising Center.  The University Advising Center also provides services to students who are transitioning from one major to another.  A student may learn how to find his/her assigned advisor by visiting the Advising website.

In helping students achieve their educational and career goals, advisors will focus on enhancing the students’ transition from high school or another college/university, will offer assistance in understanding University policies and procedures, and refer students to campus services that will best ensure the students’ success both on campus and in meeting their career goals.  The advisors will also facilitate the development of decision-making skills critical to success in college and life.  Each student’s assigned advisor will communicate regularly with the student throughout the year about important dates, programs, and services that will help ensure success at UNC Charlotte.  Students are encouraged to maintain contact with appropriate advisors throughout their enrollment period.

The advisor assists the student to develop a plan of study based on the student's prior preparation and objectives. The academic advisor will counsel, but the final responsibility remains that of the student.

Baccalaureate Degree Requirements

Credit Hours and Major

All baccalaureate degrees require completion of a minimum of 120 semester hours of credit, including all requirements for a major field of study.  Specific requirements for degrees and programs are presented under the college and departmental sections of this Catalog.

General Education

All baccalaureate degrees require completion of a common set of General Education requirements.  Refer to the General Education Program section of this Catalog

Residence Requirement

To graduate, a student must earn the last 25% of baccalaureate degree requirements at UNC Charlotte, including the last 12 semester hours of work in the major field and at least six hours of any minor field of study.  Exceptions to these hour provisions may be made upon the recommendation of the student's major department and with the approval of the dean of the college of the student's major.  (Please note:  earning 25% of the degree at UNC Charlotte cannot be waived due to Southern Association of Colleges and Schools accreditation standards.)

Coursework taken in residence shall be construed to mean work offered by UNC Charlotte and taken in courses on the UNC Charlotte campus or at an approved off-campus center. Credit earned by challenge examinations or other advanced standing examinations cannot be used to meet the residency requirement.

Grade Point Averages

To graduate, a student must have an overall cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 and a grade point average of at least 2.0 in the major and in any minor.  Some programs require a higher grade point average.  Specific requirements for degrees and programs are presented under the college and departmental sections of this Catalog.

General Education Program

The General Education Program is central to UNC Charlotte’s basic mission of providing all of its undergraduates with a liberal arts education.  The Program approaches the liberal arts in its traditional meaning of learning the arts appropriate for living the educated, responsible life of a free (liberãlis) citizen.  It provides all undergraduate students, regardless of their majors, with the foundations of the liberal education they will need to be informed people who have the ability to act thoughtfully in society, the ability to make critical judgments, and the ability to enjoy a life dedicated to learning and the pleasures of intellectual and artistic pursuits.

The Program is designed to address four areas of liberal education.  First, it helps students develop the foundational skills necessary for obtaining the full benefits of a college education: basic college-level writing, basic use of information technology, and basic college-level mathematical and logical skills.  Second, it helps provide students with an understanding of the methods of scientific inquiry and the ways that knowledge is acquired and accredited in the life sciences, physical sciences, and social sciences.  Third, the General Education Program addresses major themes related to living as a liberally educated person in the twenty-first century. Students take four Liberal Studies courses designed especially for the General Education Program.  These courses are organized around major themes of liberal education: the arts and society, the Western cultural tradition, global understanding, and ethical and cultural critique.  Fourth, it helps students develop more specialized skills for disciplinary writing and oral presentations. Students should seek advice concerning completion of their General Education requirements from an advisor in their department or college.

The General Education Program is administered by University College but individual courses are taught by faculty from all of the colleges.  Thus, requests for exceptions to any aspects of the General Education requirements for individual students must be approved by the Dean of University College, but matters relating to the course itself need to be addressed by the department and college offering the course.

I. Development of Fundamental Skills of Inquiry (9-12 hours)

First-Year Writing Courses

Students take two courses, UWRT 1101 and UWRT 1102.  Entering freshmen who qualify for the accelerated course in writing and rhetoric may meet this requirement by completing one course, UWRT 1103.  After completing these courses students are expected to be able to write clearly and concisely in standard English and to be generally prepared to do college-level writing and editing.

Mathematical and Logical Reasoning

One three-credit course in mathematics (MATH) and a second three-credit course selected from mathematics (MATH), statistics (STAT), or deductive logic (PHIL 2105) are required.  Most undergraduates at UNC Charlotte major in programs that require mathematics or statistics as related work.  For these students, the related mathematics requirements determine the courses taken to meet the General Education requirement.

Basic Skills of Information Technology

Incoming students are expected to have already developed the basic computer skills necessary to use word processing software, email, and the internet.  By the end of their first semester at UNC Charlotte, students are expected to have developed the basic skills necessary to find and evaluate information from the internet and bibliographic and database sources in Atkins Library.  These skills are developed in UWRT 1101 and UWRT 1103, and help with bibliographical and database search skills is available in the information commons of the Library.  Basic tutorial help is also available at campus computer labs.  Students are expected to exhibit ethical behavior in the use of computers. More advanced information literacy and technology skills are required by individual departments and majors.

II. Inquiry in the Sciences (10 hours)

Two Courses in the Natural Sciences, At Least One of Which Must Be Taken With a Laboratory

These courses introduce students to the methods of various science disciplines.  They provide an understanding of the current scientific knowledge of the world, how that knowledge is secured, and how scientific knowledge changes over time.  Selected from:

  • Astronomy (PHYS 1130)
  • Bioinformatics (BINF 1101)
  • Biological Anthropology (ANTH 2141)
  • Biology (BIOL 1110, BIOL 1115)
  • Chemistry (CHEM 1111, CHEM 1112, CHEM 1200, CHEM 1203, CHEM 1204, CHEM 1251, CHEM 1252)
  • Earth Sciences (ESCI 1101)
  • E-Science (ITIS 1350)
  • Geology (GEOL 1200, 1210)
  • Physics (PHYS 1101, PHYS 1102, PHYS 1201, PHYS 1202, PHYS 1203, PHYS 2101, PHYS 2102)
  • Psychology (PSYC 1101)

One Course in the Social Sciences

These courses introduce students to the methods of the social sciences and to the applications of these methods for gaining a scientific understanding of the social world.  Selected from:

  • Anthropology (ANTH 1101)
  • Economics (ECON 1101, ECON 2101, ECON 2102)
  • Geography (GEOG 1105)
  • Political Science (POLS 1110)
  • Sociology (SOCY 1101)

III. Themes of Liberal Education for Private and Public Life (12 hours)

The UNC Charlotte faculty has selected four themes of a liberal arts education around which to offer a core of Liberal Studies (LBST) courses dedicated exclusively to General Education.  All of these courses include the consideration of gender, race, and ethnic diversity, as appropriate for understanding the individual themes of these courses.  Despite the fact that topics vary, and courses are offered from various departments, LBST courses may not be repeated for credit.

Each student must take one course from each area as follows:

One Course in the Arts and Society

Art is indispensable to the structure and fabric of all societies, and each course examines this fundamental connection from the perspective of a specific art form. Selected from:

  • LBST 1101  The Arts and Society: Dance (3)
  • LBST 1102  The Arts and Society: Film (3)
  • LBST 1103  The Arts and Society: Music (3)
  • LBST 1104  The Arts and Society: Theater (3)
  • LBST 1105  The Arts and Society: Visual Arts (3)

One Course in the Western Tradition

Each section of this course examines a major aspect of Western culture through the process of analyzing the present in terms of the past.

  • LBST 2101  Western Cultural and Historical Awareness (3)

One Course in Global Understanding

All liberally educated people need to have the ability to understand the world from the point of view of more than one culture and be able to analyze issues from a global perspective.

  • LBST 2102  Global and Intercultural Connections (3)

One Course Dealing with Ethical Issues and Cultural Critique

Each of these courses deals with an important contemporary issue, and each one gives significant attention to ethical analysis and cultural critique in the liberal arts. Selected from:

  • LBST 2211  Ethical Issues in Personal, Professional, and Public Life (3)
  • LBST 2212  Literature and Culture (3)
  • LBST 2213  Science, Technology, and Society (3)
  • LBST 2214  Issues of Health and Quality of Life (3)
  • LBST 2215  Citizenship (3)

IV. Communication Skills (6-9 Hours)

Writing in the Disciplines (W)

Six semester hours, including at least three semester hours in the major. These courses are spread throughout the curriculum and are indicated with a (W) after the course title.  These courses assume that students have already developed the basic grammatical and compositional skills needed to write college-level English, and they build on these skills to develop writing strategies appropriate to the discipline of the department offering the course.

Oral Communication (O)

At least one course designated as an oral communication course.  These courses are spread throughout the curriculum and are indicated with an (O) after the course title.  If a course is designated as both a writing in the discipline course (W) and an oral communication course (O), a student may apply that course to both requirements.

Foreign Languages

There are no foreign language requirements associated with the General Education Program.  Requirements related to foreign languages are determined at the college or department levels.  The specific foreign language requirements for each major are listed under each college’s or department’s section in the Catalog.

Declaring Majors and Minors

Declaration of a Major(s)

A major represents a degree-seeking student's primary field of study.  It is a structured plan of study requiring a minimum of 30 semester hours.  Students must complete the requirements for an academic major in order to graduate from the University.  Students must, therefore, enroll in a program leading to a baccalaureate degree, and, in some cases, they may choose an area of academic concentration within that degree.  In order to be admitted to a degree program a student must meet all requirements for acceptance into that major and submit an approved “Change of Major/Minor” form (available from all advising centers around campus) to the Office of the Registrar.  Students may declare multiple majors presuming they meet the requirements for each degree.  Students pursuing multiple majors are encouraged to meet with advisors in each department to ensure they are fulfilling degree requirements.

The choice of a major appropriate for a student’s interests, aptitudes, and career goals is a crucial decision during a student’s academic career. Undergraduate students may declare a major field of study or pre-professional program upon their enrollment at UNC Charlotte as freshmen or transfer students, or they may enroll in the University as undeclared students in University College.  Undeclared students should work closely with their advisor in the University Advising Center to identify and prepare for their chosen field of study, and for that reason, advising is required for all undeclared (UCOL) students each semester.  All students should declare and be accepted into a major or a pre-professional program by the time they have earned 60 semester hours of credit; transfer students entering with more than 60 credit hours should make that declaration upon enrollment or during their first semester of attendance.  A delay in selecting a major and/or multiple changes of major often prevents graduation in a timely fashion.

Declaration of a Minor(s)

A minor represents an optional, secondary field of study for a degree-seeking student.  It is a structured plan of study requiring a minimum of 15 semester hours and no more than 29 semester hours, exclusive of student teaching.  A minor requires significant additional coursework beyond what is already required for a related major.  Students who are working on a bachelor's degree at UNC Charlotte have the option to enroll in a program leading to a minor (or minors) provided:  (1) the minor field is different from the major field; (2) the student meets the requirements for acceptance into the minor program; and (3) the appropriate application for admission or the "Change of Major/Minor" form from an advising center is approved and filed at the Office of the Registrar.

Change of Degree or Major Program

An undergraduate student may change the degree program, major, area of academic concentration, or minor in which he/she is enrolled and may enroll in a new program of study provided that space is available and that he/she meets the prerequisites for admission to the new program.  Any change of program requires written approval via a "Change of Major/Minor" form (available from all advising centers around campus) to be filed at the Office of the Registrar.  As noted above, changes in major, particularly those made after a student has earned 60 credit hours, may delay graduation.

Second Baccalaureate Degree or Major

Students who have earned bachelor's degrees from UNC Charlotte or other accredited institutions may apply to a program leading to a second baccalaureate degree or major provided the major field selected is different from that of the first degree or the degree sought is different from the first granted by UNC Charlotte.  In addition, the appropriate application for admission must be filed and approved.

Students seeking a second baccalaureate degree or major must:  (1) satisfy residency requirement (refer to Residence section of Baccalaureate Degree Requirements) if their first degree was not earned at UNC Charlotte; (2) achieve a minimum grade point average of 2.0 on all work attempted toward the second degree; and (3) satisfy all department and college requirements for the degree sought.  Students who hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution will not be required to satisfy the UNC Charlotte General Education Requirements for a second degree.  Students will be issued a transfer credit report and will have their credit from their first degree evaluated.  Students who are completing a second baccalaureate degree or major within the same degree (e.g., B.A., B.S.) are not awarded another diploma provided the first degree was earned at UNC Charlotte.

Second Baccalaureate Minor

Students who have earned a bachelor's degree from UNC Charlotte may enroll in a program of study leading to a minor provided:  (1) the second minor field selected is different from any prior major or minor; (2) the student meets the requirements for acceptance into the second minor program; and (3) the appropriate application for admission or a "Change of Major/Minor" form is approved and filed at the Office of the Registrar.  Students who are completing a second baccalaureate minor at UNC Charlotte are not awarded another diploma.

Academic Credit

Credits/Semester Hours

The unit of measurement of University work is the credit hour, also referred to as a semester hour.  It ordinarily represents one lecture hour per week for one semester; however, this may vary for courses, such as laboratories.  A bachelor's degree requires a minimum of 120 hours.

Course Load

A course load of 15-18 hours constitutes a normal full semester load for undergraduates.  A student must complete 15-16 hours per semester to complete a bachelor's degree in four academic years.  Enrollment in more than 18 hours in a semester requires advance approval of the dean of the student's major college.  An undergraduate student enrolled in 12 or more hours is considered to be a full-time student and must pay full tuition and fees.

A standard load for an undergraduate student enrolled in a summer session is up to 7 credit hours.  Enrollment in more than 7 credit hours in a single summer session, or in concurrent summer sessions (e.g., a 10-week and a 5-week session), requires advance approval of the dean of the student’s major college.

The appropriate course load for an undergraduate student is dependent on two factors: scholastic ability as reflected by the student's academic history and available study time.  Successful academic achievement usually requires at least two hours of study per week outside of class for each credit hour in which the student is enrolled.  For example, enrollment in 16 credit hours would require minimally 32 hours of outside preparation per week.

Student Classification

At the beginning of each semester, students working toward a bachelor's degree are classified on the basis of earned semester hours (also referred to as credit hours):


Earned Semester Hours








90 or more


The Office of the Registrar is responsible for the management of the registration process by which students enroll in, drop, and withdraw from courses.  Through the registration process, students assume academic and financial responsibility for the courses in which they enroll.  They are relieved of these responsibilities only by formally terminating enrollment by dropping or withdrawing in accordance with deadlines specified in the Academic Calendar and the corresponding prorated refund schedule available on the Student Accounts website.

Registration Appointment Times

Assignments are made according to student classification and cumulative hours earned for undergraduate students and can be viewed online

Registration Deadlines

University policies determine when students may enroll or adjust their enrollment in courses.  General deadlines are shown below and specific deadlines for a given term are available online.

Add/Drop Period

The Add/Drop period runs through the eighth instructional day of the Fall and Spring semesters (the second instructional day for the first and second Summer sessions). 

During the Add/Drop Period, students can:

  • Register for courses.
  • Drop a course(s) without record (and remain enrolled in other courses).
  • Drop all courses without record.
  • Change the grade type to Audit or Pass/No Credit (refer to Auditing a Course and Pass/No Credit Option sections).
  • Elect to retake a course with Grade Replacement (refer to Repeating Courses section).

After the Add/Drop Period students can withdraw from one or more courses in accordance with the Withdrawals policy.

Prerequisites and Permits

All students, including visitors and non-degree students, are required to meet course prerequisites and to obtain the required permissions to enroll in courses through the department which sponsors the course.

Auditing a Course

With the permission of the instructor, a student may audit any course in which space is available.  Fees and procedures for this non-credit enrollment are the same as those for a credit enrollment.  The procedure for adding, dropping, or withdrawing from an audit course is the same as for credit enrollments.  No student will be allowed to change the designation of a course from audit to credit or from credit to audit after the eighth instructional day of a semester (or a proportional period for Summer sessions).  Participation of auditors in course discussions and in tests or examinations is optional with the instructor.  Students who audit receive no University credit, but they are expected to attend the course regularly.

Dual Undergraduate and Graduate Registration

Undergraduate students at UNC Charlotte who are required to take fewer than 12 semester hours of undergraduate work to fulfill all requirements for the bachelor's degree may be allowed during their final semester to enroll in certain courses for the purpose of obtaining graduate credit.  Authorization for dual undergraduate/graduate registration may be obtained by submitting to the Dean of the Graduate School a “Special Request” form approved by the student's undergraduate academic advisor, the instructor(s) of the graduate course(s), and the dean(s) of the college(s) offering the graduate course(s), accompanied by the regular application for admission to graduate study and supporting credentials.  The total hours to be carried in this status shall not exceed 12 hours, of which no more than nine may be for graduate credit.  On the basis of work attempted prior to the final semester, such students must meet the grade point criteria for admission to a graduate degree program at the University.  No course for which credit is applied to an undergraduate degree may receive graduate credit.  Permission to take graduate courses under dual registration does not constitute admission to any graduate degree program at the University.

Consortium Registration

The Charlotte Area Educational Consortium offers an inter-institutional exchange during the fall and spring semesters for full-time undergraduate degree-seeking students.  UNC Charlotte students may take courses not available at UNC Charlotte at one of the institutions listed below, have them appear on their transcript, and be computed in their grade point average at this University.  The registration process is initiated in the Office of the Registrar and requires the approval of the student's college dean.

  • Belmont Abbey College
  • Cabarrus College of Health Science
  • Carolinas College of Health Sciences
  • Catawba College
  • Catawba Valley Community College
  • Central Piedmont Community College
  • Cleveland Community College
  • Davidson College
  • Gardner-Webb University
  • Gaston College
  • Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
  • Johnson C. Smith University
  • Lenoir-Rhyne College
  • Livingstone College
  • Mitchell Community College
  • Pfeiffer University
  • Queens University of Charlotte
  • South Piedmont Community College
  • Stanly Community College
  • University of South Carolina at Lancaster
  • Wingate University
  • Winthrop University
  • York Technical College

Inter-Institutional Registration

An inter-institutional registration program is available, for a limited number of undergraduate and graduate students, with the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, North Carolina State University, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Duke University, and North Carolina Central University.  The registration process is initiated in the Office of the Registrar and requires the approval of the student's college dean.

NC Online

The University of North Carolina Online offers comprehensive descriptions of and contact, application, admission, and tuition and fee information for more than 170 online programs in 22 fields of study offered by the 16 constituent universities of one of the world’s most prestigious university systems.

Termination of Enrollment

Termination by the Student

Prior to the end of the Add/Drop Period, students may terminate enrollment in one or more courses by dropping them in accordance with the Registration policy.  After the end of the Add/Drop Period, students may terminate enrollment in one or more courses by withdrawing from them in accordance with the below Withdrawals policy.

Withdrawal Policy

Students are expected to complete all courses for which they are registered at the close of the Add/Drop Period. These courses will appear on the transcript, count as attempted hours, and except for withdrawals allowed under this policy, receive grades used in the GPA calculation. Undergraduate students may receive a grade of W for no more than 16 credit hours over their academic careers. Students who withdraw under approved extenuating circumstances will receive “WE” grades that do not count against this 16-hour limit. Both types of withdrawal are subject to all financial aid and satisfactory academic progress rules.

Extenuating Circumstances

Students who experience serious extenuating circumstances (personal or medical crisis or military deployment) may petition for a withdrawal that does not count against their career W limit. Procedural details and advice should be obtained from the Dean of Students Office. The Dean of Students is responsible for developing and communicating standards and procedures in conjunction with the Colleges that govern these decisions. The student is expected to submit the petition during the term the crisis begins. If approved, a grade of WE will be recorded for each course—the “E” is an annotation for “extenuating circumstances.” Courses marked WE do not count in GPA or tuition surcharge calculations. Appeals of negative decisions are handled by the Office of the Provost. If denied, the student might still be able to withdraw under the policy for withdrawal without extenuating circumstances, described below.

Non-Extenuating Circumstances

Every student is allowed a few opportunities to withdraw from any class for any reason (and receive a grade of W), subject to the following conditions:


The deadline to withdraw from one or more courses (including withdrawing from all courses) is 60% of the way through the term, which for fall or spring semesters is during the 9th week. The precise date for each term will be published in the academic calendar. After this deadline, withdrawal will only be allowed for approved extenuating circumstances.

Grade of W

A grade of W will be recorded for each withdrawal without extenuating circumstances. Courses marked W do not count in GPA calculations but do count in tuition surcharge calculations.

W-Limit Hours

Students are allowed to receive a grade of W for no more than 16 credit hours over their academic careers. Students may only withdraw from a course if they have enough remaining “W-limit hours,” as shown in the following examples:

  • A student has already received W grades for 14 credit hours and thus has only 2 W-limit hours left. The student may not withdraw from a 3-credit course, but could withdraw from a 1- or 2-credit course.
  • Another student has 12 remaining W-limit hours and is currently taking five 3-credit courses. The student would like to withdraw from all courses but lacks approved extenuating circumstances, and thus must choose at least one course in which to stay enrolled.

Students who are unable to withdraw from a course but stop attending anyway must accept whatever grade the instructor assigns (most often an F) for their partial work.

Termination by the University

The University maintains the right to terminate a student’s enrollment in a course for a variety of reasons including, but not limited to: course schedule changes, course cancellation due to low enrollment, or the student’s nonfulfillment of course prerequisites.  The University maintains the right to terminate a student’s enrollment in all courses in a term for a variety of reasons including, but not limited to: academic suspension, suspension for violation of the Code of Student Responsibility, or suspension in violation of the Code of Student Academic Integrity.  Students who have been suspended for academic or disciplinary reasons must reapply for admission as described in the Readmission of Former Students policy. 

Classroom Policies and Attendance

Each instructor determines the classroom policies (including attendance regulations) for his or her courses.  In general, students are expected to attend punctually all scheduled sessions in the courses for which they are registered, to demonstrate civil behavior while in class, and to complete all of the course requirements, but instructors may outline additional and more specific standards in the course syllabus.  Absences from class may be excused by the instructor for such reasons as personal illness, religious holidays, or participating as an authorized University representative in an out-of-town event.  Whenever possible, students are expected to seek the permission of the instructor prior to absences.

Grading and Related Policies

Instructors assign grades on the basis of their evaluation of the academic performance of each student enrolled in their courses. At the end of the term, the grades are reported to the Office of the Registrar which is responsible for maintaining student academic records and making grades available to students.


Letters are used to designate the quality of student academic achievement.





Grade Points

Per Semester Hour




















In Progress






Withdrawal (Extenuating Circumstances)






Auditing Class



No recognition given for Auditing Class


Cooperative Education







Pass/No Credit Option





No Credit


*Not used in computation of grade point average

Grade of I (Incomplete)

The grade of I is assigned at the discretion of the instructor when a student who is otherwise passing has not, due to circumstances beyond his/her control, completed all the work in the course.  The missing work must be completed by the deadline specified by the instructor, and no later than 12 months. If the I is not removed during the specified time, a grade of F, U, or N, as appropriate is automatically assigned. The grade of I cannot be removed by enrolling again in the same course, and students should not re-enroll in a course in which they have been assigned the grade of I.

Grade of IP (In Progress)

The grade of IP is based on coursework for courses that extend over more than one semester.  For example, a course that requires enrollment for two consecutive semesters would be eligible for an IP grade in the first term (i.e., Undergraduate Senior Project).  A grade of IP should not be given for coursework to be completed in one given term.  It cannot be substituted for a grade of I. The IP grade expires after six years, and if no final grade has been awarded by that time, the IP grade will default to a grade of N (no credit).

Grade of W (Withdrawal)

No grade will be given for a course dropped on or before the last day to drop a course without record.  After this period, students may only withdraw from a course in accordance with the conditions and deadlines in the Withdrawals policy.  Students who withdraw without extenuating circumstances will receive a grade of W and are allowed no more than 16 credit hours of W grades over their academic careers.  Students who withdraw under formally recognized extenuating circumstances will receive a grade of WE, indicating that the withdrawn hours do not count against the student’s W-limit hours.  Post-deadline withdrawal is only allowable for recognized extenuating circumstances.  Unsatisfactory academic performance itself is not an extenuating circumstance.  The grade of W or WE is posted on the academic transcript. 

Pass/No Credit Option

Every student will be permitted during his/her undergraduate years to select up to a total of four courses (at most one per academic year) in which he/she can receive an evaluation of H (honors), P (pass), or N (no credit).  This option is designed to encourage curiosity, exploration, and experimentation in areas where a student has strong interest but little or no previous experience.  The Pass/No Credit option only applies to courses normally graded on an A-F scale, and it cannot be used on courses taken by a student for credit toward his/her major or minor or to satisfy University General Education requirements.  [Note:  courses designated by the faculty to be graded on a Pass/No Credit basis may count for the major.]  To exercise this option, the student must declare his/her intention to take a Pass/No Credit option by completing the appropriate form at the Office of the Registrar by the end of the eighth instructional day in the semester; this form requires the approval of the chair of the student’s major department.  Courses completed with the grade of Honors or Pass will count toward the hours needed for graduation, but they will not be considered in the computation of the grade point average.

Unsatisfactory Grade Reports

Unsatisfactory Grade Report notifications are sent via email to students in the middle of each semester for courses in which the student is performing below average and a grade has been reported.  Students should also seek feedback from instructors.  Unsatisfactory grades are available through the secure student access pages of 49er Express.

Final Grades

Final grades are available through the secure student access pages of 49er Express

Final Grade Changes and Appeals from Final Course Grades

When a final course grade other than Incomplete (I) is officially reported by the instructor at the end of an academic term, the grade is recorded by the Office of the Registrar and can be changed only if the grade has been assigned arbitrarily or impermissibly as defined in University Policy 410, Policy and Procedures for Student Appeals of Final Course Grades.

Students should follow the procedures outlined in the policy if they believe that the final course grade that has been assigned is incorrect.  The policy requires the student to discuss the grade with the instructor as soon as possible after the grade is received.  Students should note, however, that the University is not obliged to respond to a grade appeal unless the student files it with the appropriate department chairperson or interdisciplinary program director within the first four weeks following the last day of the regular semester or the summer term in which the grade was received.  When a grade is assigned consistent with University policy, only the instructor has the right to change the grade except as provided in the Incomplete grade policy.  When an instructor reports a grade change for a grade other than I, the online “Change of Grade” form must be approved by his/her department chair and college dean, or the assigned designee of the department chair and/or college dean. 

Repeating Courses

A student may receive credit for a course one time only, unless the course description specifies that it “may be repeated for credit.”  However, students can repeat a course to improve their GPA under two different sets of conditions.  In the first case, within the limits specified in the next section, a student may replace a grade.  This process is called “With Grade Replacement.”  In the second case, a student may repeat a course with the new grade averaging in with all others for this same course.  This is specified in the second section below as “Without Grade Replacement.”

With Grade Replacement

Undergraduate students may replace up to two (2) courses (maximum of 8 credit hours) for grade replacement.  Both grades will be reflected on the transcript.  However, the higher of the two grades will be used in calculation of the GPA.  This policy applies to courses first taken in Fall 2007 and thereafter. [Note: Some courses in the College of Health and Human Services may not allow grade replacement.]  All courses for which a grade of A, B, C, D, or F may be assigned are eligible for grade replacement under this policy.  The course to be replaced and the repeat course must have their grades assigned by UNC Charlotte.

Students must submit a completed “Grade Replacement” online form through Banner Self-Service by the last day to Add/Drop a course with no record in the semester or summer session in which the course is to be repeated.  A repeated course may not be selected retroactively to use this grade replacement policy.  In courses for which the final grade assigned was a D or F, the student may submit the “Grade Replacement” online form requiring no further approval, providing it is within the course and hour limits specified in this policy. In courses for which the final grade assigned was a C or above, the student must submit the online form that will be routed electronically to obtain approval of the department chair and the dean of the college of the student’s program or major, and remain within the two-course, eight-hour limitations of this policy. Once a student has filed a “Grade Replacement” form for a course that choice cannot be revoked due to withdrawing from the course or from the University. (Medical or special circumstances may be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.) The original course grade will be the grade of record for the course and not a W. Any such withdrawal still consumes one of the two course substitutions permitted under this policy. Students enrolled in special topics courses for a grade replacement must enroll in the same topic for which they originally received the grade to be replaced. A grade received owing to an admitted or adjudicated academic dishonesty violation shall not be replaced if the course is repeated. This exception is not subject to appeal or academic petition.

Without Grade Replacement

In all courses which are not identified as being repeatable for additional credits, a student who has received a grade of C, H, P, or above in a course may repeat that course only with prior approval of the student’s advisor, department chair, and dean. Students seek approval by completing an “Academic Petition” form from the Office of the Registrar or via Banner Self Service.  An undergraduate student who received a D, F, or U in a course may repeat a course without seeking outside approval.  All grades for repeated courses will be shown on the student’s official transcript and be used in the calculation of the grade point average.  For prerequisite purposes, the most recent grade will be used whether or not it is the highest.

Credit Hours

Credit hours, also known as semester hours, are the number of hours a course is allocated.  The majority of undergraduate courses have three (3) credit hours, while labs and other courses may have one, two, four, or more credit hours.  Attempted, passed, and earned credit hours are reported on transcripts.

Quality Points

Quality points, also known as grade points, are determined by multiplying the number of points assigned to each grade (A = 4, B = 3, C = 2, D = 1, F = 0) by the number of credit hours associated with that course.  Refer to example below.

GPA Hours

GPA hours, also known as quality hours, are the total number of credit (semester) hours in the graded courses the student has attempted, except for those for which a grade of I, IP, W, P, AU, or N is recorded.  Refer to example below.

Grade Point Average (GPA)

The grade point average for an undergraduate student is determined by adding all accumulated quality points together, and then dividing by the total number of GPA hours the student has attempted, excluding those for which the student received a grade of I, IP, W, H, P, AU, or N.  In computing the grade point average, only those credits attempted at UNC Charlotte or through the Charlotte Area Educational Consortium are included.  Refer to the example below.

Example of Transcript:




Credit Hours

Quality Points




































Term Totals (Undergraduate)


Attempt Hours

Passed Hours

Earned Hours

GPA Hours

Quality Points
















Example of GPA Calculation:

GPA = Quality Points/GPA Hours; 25/15=1.667

GPA Calculator

To calculate grade point averages, visit the GPA Calculator

Academic Standing

Academic Honors

Chancellor’s List

The Chancellor's List recognizes undergraduate degree-seeking students with outstanding records of academic performance.  To qualify for the Chancellor's List during the fall or spring semester, a full-time student must earn a grade point average of at least 3.8 in 12 or more semester hours of credit graded A, B, or C, with no grade less than C.  A part-time student must earn a combined fall and spring grade point average of at least 3.8 in 12 or more semester hours of credit graded A, B, or C, with no grade less than C.  To qualify for the Chancellor's List as a part-time student, a student must enroll on a part-time basis in both fall and spring semesters in the same academic year.

Students who receive the grade of AU, H, or P are not excluded from recognition as long as 12 hours are completed with A, B, or C.  Students who receive the grade of D, F, I, NR, or N are not eligible for recognition. Chancellor’s List recognition appears on the student’s academic record (official transcript).

Dean’s List

The Dean's List recognizes undergraduate degree-seeking students with superb records of academic performance.  To qualify for the Dean’s List during the Fall or Spring semester, a full-time student must earn a grade point average of at least 3.4 and not more than 3.79 in 12 or more semester hours of credit graded A, B, or C, with no grade less than a C.  A part-time student must earn a combined Fall and Spring grade point average of at least 3.4 and not more than 3.79 in 12 or more semester hours of credit graded A, B, or C, with no grade less than C.  To qualify for the Dean’s List as a part-time student, a student must enroll on a part-time basis in both Fall and Spring semester in the same academic year.

Students who receive the grade of AU, H, or P are not excluded from recognition as long as 12 hours are completed with grades of A, B, or C.  Students who receive the grade of D, F, I, NR, or N are not eligible for recognition.  Dean’s List recognition appears on the student’s academic record (official transcript).

Graduation with Distinction

Students may earn undergraduate degrees at different levels of distinction: Cum Laude (“With Honor”), Magna Cum Laude (“With Great Honor”), and Summa Cum Laude (“With Highest Honor”).  Each of the undergraduate degrees is awarded Cum Laude when the graduating student's cumulative grade point average is 3.4 or more but less than 3.7, Magna Cum Laude when it is at least 3.7 but less than 3.9, and Summa Cum Laude when it is at least 3.9.  To be eligible to graduate with distinction, a student must have a grade point average computed on at least 48 semester hours of credit completed in residence at UNC Charlotte.

Requirements for Continued Enrollment

Good Academic Standing

To remain in good academic standing, an undergraduate student must maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0.

Semester Warning

An undergraduate student whose term GPA is below 2.0 in the semester of the evaluation is given a “semester warning.”  This indicates potential academic problems and is communicated to the student and to the student’s advisor and major department(s).  Semester warnings do not appear on the student’s permanent academic record. 

Academic Probation

An undergraduate student whose cumulative GPA is below 2.0 is placed on academic probation.  This status is noted on the student's permanent academic record with the semester of the evaluation, and continues until the next evaluation opportunity.

Academic Suspension

An undergraduate student on academic probation whose cumulative GPA remains below 2.0 at the next evaluation is suspended from the University, unless the student’s GPA for that semester is at least 2.3, in which case the student remains on probation instead.  Academic suspension is noted on the student’s permanent academic record.

Exception for Summer Enrollment

Students who are on academic suspension are permitted to enroll in Summer Session classes, but they are not eligible to enroll for Fall or Spring semesters until they have applied and been approved for reinstatement or readmission.

Readmission of Former Students

The following individuals must make application for readmission to the University prior to the semester or summer term for which registration is sought:  a former student who has graduated, a former student who has been suspended for academic or disciplinary reasons, and a student who has not been enrolled for 12 consecutive months after the semester last attended at UNC Charlotte.  (Example of the latter: last enrolled Fall semester 2009; not enrolled Spring or Fall 2010; to enroll in Spring 2011 student must apply in Fall 2010.)  Application should be filed at the Office of the Registrar in accordance with the published dates.  Such individuals must meet the GPA and departmental progression requirements of the major in which they will return.  Official transcripts from any institution attended during the student’s absence from the University must be submitted prior to enrollment.

Students may be readmitted one time under the “Associate Degree Rule” or the “Two-Year Rule” but not both. 

Associate Degree Rule

Students who leave UNC Charlotte and subsequently earn an Associate of Arts (AA), an Associate of Science (AS), or an Associate of Fine Arts (AFA) degree may apply for readmission as transfer students and transfer a maximum of 64 semester hours, including hours from UNC Charlotte or other four-year institutions applied to the Associate Degree.  Readmission under the "Associate Degree Rule" also resets the student's W-limit hours (as described in the Academic Policy on Withdrawals) to the full 16 hours. 

Two-Year Rule

Any undergraduate student who has not been enrolled at UNC Charlotte for a minimum period of 24 consecutive months is eligible for one readmission under the "Two-Year Rule."  The “Two-Year Rule” will be applied automatically if the student is eligible.  (Students electing not to have it applied may exercise this option by filing a form with the Office of the Registrar after consulting with their advisor and obtaining approval from the dean of their college.)  Colleges and departments which have published admission or continued enrollment standards that are more restrictive than general University requirements retain the right to admit or to deny readmission to a specific program.

If a student is readmitted under the provisions of the “Two-Year Rule,” only those courses for which the student has received a grade of C or above (or H or P) can be used for academic credit.  Readmission under the "Two-Year Rule" also resets the student's W-limit hours (as described in the Academic Policy on Withdrawals) to the full 16 hours.  The GPA will be based only on the courses that return with the student and the courses taken after readmission.  Eligibility for continued enrollment is determined as in the case of transfer students. To qualify for graduation with honors, a readmitted student must have a GPA computed on at least 48 hours taken in residence on which the UNC Charlotte GPA is based.

Second Baccalaureate Major/ Baccalaureate Minor

Students who have earned a bachelor's degree from UNC Charlotte may apply for readmission into a program leading to a second major or to a baccalaureate minor.  Refer to section entitled Declaring Majors and Minors.

Note: Readmission after Academic or Disciplinary Suspension is not automatic.  An application for readmission must be made and approved. Included in the approval must be an acceptance from the department in which the student would major.

Academic Appeal and Grievance Procedures

Academic appeals and grievances are generally addressed by the college where the appeal or grievance arises or, if no particular college is appropriate, by the Office of the Registrar.  Undergraduate students may appeal an academic suspension by submitting a written statement online to the Office of the Registrar.

Decisions about suspension appeals are made by the chair of the department in which the student is enrolled or the dean of University College if the student’s major is undeclared.  For all other academic appeals, undergraduate students must complete an “Academic Petition,” found on the Office of the Registrar website or via Banner Self Service online, including recommendations of approval. 

For additional information on grievances, see University Policy 411, Student Grievance Procedure.


Transfer Credit and Advanced Academic Standing

Evaluation of transfer credits, advanced standing, CLEP, AP, and IB are coordinated through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.  Prospective students who desire further information about policies and procedures for awarding credit should contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions or utilize the “Transfer Credit Advisor” tool on the Admissions website.

UNC Charlotte will accept appropriate undergraduate credits earned through AP, IB, CLEP, armed forces service schools, and college level courses completed prior to graduation from high school. In addition, UNC Charlotte will accept or transfer appropriate undergraduate and graduate credits earned at another accredited institution or through credit by examination. Credit toward a degree is not awarded for Continuing Education Units (CEUs) or for remedial level college courses.

Advanced Placement Course Credit (AP)

The University will accept appropriate undergraduate credits earned through Advanced Placement Program Tests completed prior to graduation from high school. Students must request that official Advanced Placement test results be sent directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions for evaluation (UNC Charlotte code 5105).  Prospective students who desire further information about policies and procedures for awarding credit should view score requirements and other related information on the Admissions website.  No more than 8 credit hours can be awarded for any single Advanced Placement exam.

International Baccalaureate Program (IB)

The University will award credit for subjects in which students score appropriate scores on the IB examinations. View score requirements on the Admissions website.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP) General Examination

An undergraduate student may receive up to 23 semester hours of elective credit.

Subject Matter Examinations

Credit may be awarded for subject matter examinations listed below at the levels recommended in the current edition of CLEP Scores: Interpretation and Use.


  • Information Systems and Computer Applications
  • Introductory Accounting
  • Introductory Business Law
  • Principles of Management
  • Principles of Marketing


  • Human Growth and Development
  • Introduction to Educational Psychology

Foreign Language

  • College French I and II
  • College German I and II
  • College Spanish I and II


  • American Literature
  • Analysis & Interpretation of Literature
  • College Composition (with Essay)
  • English Literature


  • Calculus w/Elementary Functions
  • College Algebra
  • College Algebra-Trigonometry
  • Trigonometry


  • General Biology
  • General Chemistry

Social Sciences

  • American Government
  • American History I and II
  • Introduction to Macroeconomics
  • Introduction to Microeconomics
  • Introduction to Psychology
  • Introduction to Sociology
  • Western Civilization I and II

CLEP credit will be awarded according to UNC Charlotte policy in place at the time of evaluation.  View score requirements on the Admissions website.

The amount of CLEP credit that is applicable to a specific degree program is determined by the department offering the program.

Transfer Credit from Other Institutions

Official transcripts are evaluated in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and the results are provided to the applicant and to the major department/college. Determining the applicability of transferred credits to major or program requirements is the responsibility of the department chairperson or program director. General rules governing transfer credit:

  1. Only courses taken at a regionally accredited institution will be considered for transfer credit.
  2. Provisional transfer credit may be granted for study at foreign institutions or certain U.S. institutions that are not regionally accredited, but must be validated by 30 semester hours of successful performance in residence at UNC Charlotte.
  3. Courses for which credit is accepted must be appropriate for approved University programs and curricula in which the student is enrolled.
  4. No credit below C level will be accepted; grade points and averages do not transfer.
  5. Transfer credit is awarded only upon receipt in the UNC Charlotte Office of Undergraduate Admissions of an official transcript from the institution where the credit was earned.

Students who hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution will not be required to satisfy the UNC Charlotte General Education Requirements for a second degree.  Students will be issued a transfer credit report and will have their credit from their first degree evaluated.

Credit for Military Training

The University will approve academic credit for military training equivalent to UNC Charlotte courses required for the students' major, minor, or General Education requirements.  The credit must be approved by the student's major department chair, college dean, and the department that offers the course.

Documentation of the training, such as a license of completion or notation on the student's DD Form 214, is required. The same requirements apply to transfer or military training credit approved by another institution.  Contact the Office of the Registrar for further information.

Credit from Two-Year Institutions

The University accepts a maximum of 64 semester hours of credit from two year institutions for undergraduate students.  Remedial and technical courses will not transfer.

Transient Study

Courses undertaken by UNC Charlotte undergraduate degree students at other accredited institutions may be transferred to the University subject to the following regulations:

  1. The University is not obligated to accept any credit from another institution unless the student has obtained the prior approval of the dean of the college in which he/she is enrolled. A “Permit for Transient Study” form should be completed and filed in the UNC Charlotte Office of the Registrar prior to enrollment at another institution.
  2. No credit will be accepted for courses below C level for undergraduate students.
  3. The student must request that an official transcript be mailed to the UNC Charlotte Office of the Registrar upon completion of the course. A form for this purpose is available in the Office of the Registrar at the institution where the course is taken.
  4. Students in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences and students in the University College are not permitted to take courses at another educational institution in the Fall or Spring semester if they are enrolled full-time (12 credits or more) at UNC Charlotte in the same semester, unless it is a course not offered at UNC Charlotte (e.g., American Sign Language).
  5. Grades do not transfer.

Credit by Examination

A student currently enrolled at UNC Charlotte may pass a specially prepared challenge examination and receive credit for a University course without having to do the normal course work.  The student contacts the chair of the department in which credit is sought to request administration of an examination.  Since it may not be appropriate to award credit by examination for some courses, the decision to offer an examination is that of the department.  If the chair authorizes an examination, the student is instructed to pay the required fee for credit by examination and to bring the receipt of payment to the examination.  Hours earned through credit by examination will be indicated on the transcript, but no grade points will be awarded. Hours attempted will be assigned equal to the hours earned.  Failure on such an examination will incur no grade point penalty or hours attempted.  A department may allow a student to take examinations for courses not offered at UNC Charlotte, if it deems it appropriate to do so.  No student may challenge a course for which either a passing or failing grade has been received at UNC Charlotte.

Transfer Students Exempt from the First-Year Writing Requirement

Students will be deemed to have fulfilled the First-Year writing requirement (UWRT 1101 and UWRT 1102) if either of the following apply: a) exemption from first-year writing (without credit) at another college or university; or b) 64 or more transferred credit hours from U.S. institution(s) of higher education.  (Some exceptions may apply for students with transferred credit hours from institutions where English is not the language of instruction.)

Transfer Students Exempt from the Lower-Division General Education Requirements

Some transfer students are exempt from the lower division General Education requirements* if they are admitted to the University in Fall 2003 or thereafter.  These include:

  • Students from North Carolina Community Colleges who receive an Associate of Arts (AA), Associate of Science (AS), or an Associate of Fine Arts (AFA).
  • Students from North Carolina Community Colleges who have completed the 44 hour general education core. (Comprehensive Articulation Agreement, CAA)
  • Students who graduate from a North Carolina Community College with an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) and enroll at UNC Charlotte in an approved 2+2 degree completion program. (In this case, the exemption becomes invalid if the student changes programs.)

Transfer Students from out-of-state and private institutions of higher education who receive an Associate Degree from that institution will have the degree evaluated for the same General Education exemption on a case by case basis by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.  The criteria used in the evaluation will be the amount of college-level English, math, natural science, social science, and humanities course work that is included in the degree’s curriculum. Curriculums that are more technical in nature or lack key features of the UNC Charlotte General Education core may not be approved for an exemption from lower division General Education requirements, but individual courses will be accepted towards the UNC Charlotte requirements.

*“Lower division General Education requirements” refers to courses in composition, mathematics and logic, sciences, social sciences, liberal studies (LBST), and three (3) credits designated as writing intensive and one to three (1-3) credits designated as oral communications. Students MUST still complete three semester hours in the major designated as Writing Intensive (W) to satisfy all General Education requirements for graduation.


Application for the Degree

Each student must make application for his/her degree no later than the filing date specified in the academic calendar.  The application may be submitted online through the Office of the Registrar.  The fee for graduation will be billed to the student’s account.  The diploma and transcript will reflect the term in which all requirements were completed, and the diploma will be mailed to the student’s address of record.

Students completing their degree requirements in May participate in the May ceremony.  Students completing degrees in a summer term, as well as those completing in December, participate in the December ceremony.

Teacher Licensure

Students who have completed degree requirements and obtained passing scores on appropriate exit tests (e.g., Principles of Teaching and Learning, Praxis II Subject Assessments) must apply for licensure through the Teacher Education Advising, Licensure, and Recruitment (TEALR) Office in the College of Education.  TEALR will process and submit application packets including Praxis scores, final transcripts, and required fees to the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction (NCDPI).  Licenses are mailed directly to applicants by NCDPI.

Commencement Marshals

At each Commencement ceremony, the University honors the juniors with the highest grade point averages by inviting them to serve as the marshals who lead the processions of graduates, faculty members, and the platform party.  To select students for this honor, the University considers juniors who have completed 75 hours of degree work, enrolled full-time (12 or more hours per semester) during the two most recent semesters, and are able to attend the ceremony.

Academic Records and Transcripts

The Office of the Registrar is responsible for maintaining the official academic records for all students.  Upon written request by the student or an online request through Banner Self-Service, an official transcript of the academic record will be issued to the person or institution designated, provided that all the student's obligations to the University have been settled satisfactorily.

A nominal fee per copy must accompany each transcript request.  Requests should reach the Office of the Registrar at least one week before the date the transcript is needed.  Students may request an official transcript through the secure student access pages of self service via 49er Express or complete a request form available from the Office of the Registrar.  The Office of the Registrar cannot accept requests via email.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) Annual Notification

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records.  These rights include:

(1) The right to inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days of the day the University receives a request for access.

      Students should submit to the Office of the Registrar, dean of their college, chair of their major academic department, or other appropriate official written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect.  University official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected.  If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.

(2) The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes are inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA.

      A student who wishes to ask the University to amend a record should write the University Registrar, clearly identify the part of the record the student wants changed, and specify why it should be changed.

      If the University decides not to amend the record as requested, the University will notify the student in writing of the decision and the student’s right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment.  Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

(3) The right to provide written consent before the University discloses personally identifiable information from the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent, to the following parties or under the following conditions:

  • School officials with legitimate educational interest;
  • To officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll or is already enrolled, so long as the disclosure is for purposes related to the student’s enrollment or transfer;
  • Specified officials for audit or evaluation purposes;
  • Appropriate parties in connection with financial aid to a student;
  • Organizations conducting certain studies for or on behalf of the school;
  • Accrediting organizations;
  • To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena;
  • Appropriate officials in cases of health and safety emergencies; and
  • State and local authorities, within a juvenile justice system, pursuant to specific State law.

      A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an educa­tion record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for the University.

      "Directory Information" means information in a student's education record that would not generally be considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed. At UNC Charlotte, directory information consists of the student's name,  major field of study, dates of attendance, enrollment status, and degrees and awards (including scholarships) received. Photographs, videos, or other media containing a student’s image or likeness (collectively, “student images”) and University-issued student electronic mail addresses (“email addresses”) are designated by UNC Charlotte as “limited use directory information.” Use and disclosure of limited use directory information will be restricted to: (1) publication in official University publications or on social media sites or websites hosted or maintained by, on behalf of, or for the benefit of the University, including the University’s online directory and internal email system; (2) University officials who have access, consistent with FERPA, to such information and only in conjunction with a legitimate educational interest; and (3) external parties contractually affiliated with the University, provided such affiliation requires the sharing of limited use directory information.

      Currently enrolled students may request that the University withhold disclosure of Directory Information by completing the appropriate form available in the Office of the Registrar.  A request for non-disclosure will be honored by the University indefinitely, unless the student submits to the Office of the Registrar a written revocation of such request for non-disclosure.

      As of January 3, 2012, the U.S. Department of Education's FERPA regulations expand the circumstances under which a student’s education records and personally identifiable information (PII) contained in such records — including his or her Social Security Number, grades, or other private information — may be accessed without the student’s consent.  First, the U.S. Comptroller General, the U.S. Attorney General, the U.S. Secretary of Education, or state and local education authorities ("Federal and State Authorities") may allow access to a student’s records and PII without the student’s consent to any third party designated by a Federal or State Authority to evaluate a federal- or state-supported education program.  The evaluation may relate to any program that is "principally engaged in the provision of education," such as early childhood education and job training, as well as any program that is administered by an education agency or institution.  Second, Federal and State Authorities may allow access to the student’s education records and PII without his or her consent to researchers performing certain types of studies, in certain cases even when the University objects to or does not request such research.  Federal and State Authorities must obtain certain use-restriction and data security promises from the entities that they authorize to receive the student’s PII, but the Federal and State Authorities need not maintain direct control over such entities.  In addition, in connection with Statewide Longitudinal Data Systems, State Authorities may collect, compile, permanently retain, and share without the student’s consent PII from his or her education records, and they may track the student’s participation in education and other programs by linking such PII to other personal information about the student that they obtain from other Federal or State data sources, including workforce development, unemployment insurance, child welfare, juvenile justice, military service, and migrant student records systems.

(4) The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the University to comply with the requirements of FERPA.  The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC  20202-8520

UNC Charlotte intends to comply fully with these requirements.  University Policy 402, Student Records, explains the procedures for compliance.  Students may obtain copies of the policy in the Office of the Registrar or online from the Legal Affairs website.  That policy includes a list of the locations of all education records maintained by the institution.

All questions concerning this FERPA Annual Notification may be directed to the attention of the Office of the Registrar.