Mathematics has important applications to numerous areas ranging from economics and other social sciences to physics and engineering. It is a challenging and interesting area to study in its own right with a broad and varied curriculum. Of course, graduates with a major in mathematics can become teachers and are in very high demand. However, according to a recent national survey, the majority are employed in careers with private for profit employers. The leading occupations include:
- Accounting and Finance
- Computer Programming
- Sales and Marketing
- Management and Related Positions
- Computer Systems Analysis
- Statistical and Mathematical Modeling
- Health and Social Services
Career choices for students who concentrate in Statistics would also include those related to the environment, food and drug industry, and the energy sector. Mathematics majors rank the highest in performance on both the LSAT and the GMAT standardized tests for law school and graduate level business programs, respectively.
The Department of Mathematics and Statistics offers a B.A. and B.S. in Mathematics (with optional concentrations in Actuarial Mathematics and Statistics); a B.A. and B.S. in Mathematics for Business; three minors: Mathematics, Actuarial Mathematics, and Statistics; teacher licensure; and an Honors program.
For further studies, the department offers graduate programs leading to master’s and doctoral degrees. The Ph.D. degree is available in Applied Mathematics. The M.A. degree is available in Mathematics Education. The M.S. degree in Mathematics has concentrations in General Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, and Applied Statistics. Additional information on these programs can be found in the UNC Charlotte Graduate Catalog.
- Mathematics for Business, B.A.
- Mathematics for Business, B.S.
- Mathematics, Actuarial Science Concentration, B.A.
- Mathematics, Actuarial Science Concentration, B.S.
- Mathematics, B.A.
- Mathematics, B.S.
- Mathematics, Statistics Concentration, B.A.
- Mathematics, Statistics Concentration, B.S.
- Mathematics, Teacher Licensure, B.A.
- Mathematics, Teacher Licensure, B.S.
Early Entry Programs