Computer Science is the cornerstone of modern society. It revolutionizes how we learn, communicate, entertain, conduct business, perform research, and practice medicine. It provides computer scientists with nearly limitless opportunities to make satisfying and enriching contributions to society. While other disciplines produce graduates prepared for specific jobs, computer science offers a comprehensive foundation that permits graduates to explore and adapt to new technologies, ideas, and professions. The work of computer scientists falls into many categories. For example, computer scientists:
- Design, implement, and operate software. Computer scientists tackle challenging software design, implementation, and testing problems. They also lead and contribute to software projects and operate software systems.
- Manage and explore data. Computer scientists develop and apply tools and methods to curate, explore, and synthesize data to uncover insights and inform decision-making.
- Integrate information and technology into society. Computer scientists design new ways to integrate information and technology into all aspects of society including business workflows, the arts, research, engineering, healthcare, and education.
- Discover, innovate, and create. Computer scientists produce innovative solutions to society’s most difficult and critical challenges. They promote discovery. They are innovators who inspire creativity and overcome challenges big and small.
The Department of Computer Science offers degrees at the baccalaureate, master’s, and doctoral levels, as well as various certificates. The department offers B.S. and M.S. degrees in Computer Science with concentrations in: Data Science; Artificial Intelligence, Robotics, and Gaming; and, Software, Systems, and Networks. The M.S. in Computer Science offers an additional concentration in Information Security and Privacy. The department also offers a Ph.D. in Computing and Information Systems. See the UNC Charlotte Graduate Catalog for information on the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees.) Students are prepared by internationally recognized faculty through a comprehensive program of coursework, research, and internship opportunities in state-of-the-art computing facilities.
- Computer Science, AI, Robotics, and Gaming Concentration, B.S.
- Computer Science, Data Science Concentration, B.S.
- Computer Science, Software, Systems, and Networks Concentration, B.S.
Early Entry Programs