Dec 17, 2017
The Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Music degree differs from a Bachelor of Music (B.M.) degree in that it is a liberal arts degree designed for students who want both intensive training in music and the opportunity to explore other areas of academic study. The curriculum consists of 34 credit hours of General Education as well as a Foreign Language proficiency; 55 credit hours in the Core Music Curriculum, including private lessons, ensembles, music theory, aural skills, piano and music history; 18 credit hours of a designated minor or second major; and 13 credit hours of elective courses and additional music classes. The culminating experience for this degree is an academic Senior Project.
Foreign Language Courses (0-8 credit hours)
All Music majors must demonstrate proficiency in the foreign language of their choice through the 1202 level. Proficiency can be demonstrated in the following ways:
- Completing the required coursework at UNC Charlotte
- Completing three years of the same foreign language in high school through level three
- Achieving a satisfactory score on the foreign languages placement test (in Spanish, French or German)
- Through approved transfer or transient credit earned at other accredited institutions
- A combination of the above methods (e.g., placing out of or earning transfer or transient credit for 1201 and completing the 1202 course, completing 1201 and placing out of or earning transfer or transient credit for 1202)
Major Courses (55 credit hours)
Foundation Course (1 credit hour)
Ensembles Courses (10 credit hours)
- MUPF 11xx - Primary Ensembles (8)
- MUPF 11xx - Secondary Ensembles (2)
Applied Music Courses (16 credit hours)
- MUPF 12xx and MUPF 32xx - Applied Music and Advanced Applied Music (16)
Performance Classes (8 credit hours)
Music Theory Courses (8 credit hours)
Class Piano Courses (4 credit hours)
Aural Skills Courses (4 credit hours)
Music History Courses (9 credit hours)
Senior Project (3 credit hours)
Secondary Area of Study (18-31 credit hours)
Students must complete a Minor or Second Major.
Unrestricted Elective Courses
Degree Total = 120 Credit Hours
Most music courses require grades of C or above to progress to subsequent levels of study; all required music courses must be passed with grades of C or above to graduate. For specific requirements, refer to the Department of Music Student Handbook.
For details about the Arts + Architecture Honors Program, visit the AAHP program page .
For the suggested course sequence toward completing the major, please see the Academic Plan of Study available online at academics.uncc.edu. Consultation with an advisor is required.