Jan 16, 2021
A Major in Dance with a Concentration in Performance, Choreography, and Theory leading to the B.A. degree requires 120 credit hours, including 56 credit hours of dance content coursework.
Additional Admission Requirements
The Department of Dance requires a placement audition before entering the program.
General Education Courses (37-41 credit hours)
For details on required courses, refer to the General Education program . Both Writing Intensive (W) courses and the Oral Communication (O) course are fulfilled by courses in the major.
Foreign Language Requirement (0-8 credit hours)
All students who earn a degree within the College of Arts + Architecture are required to demonstrate proficiency in the language of their choice through the 1202 level. Proficiency can be demonstrated in one of the following ways:
- Completing the required coursework at UNC Charlotte
- Completing three years of the same foreign language in high school through level three
- Achieving a satisfactory score on the foreign languages placement test (in Spanish, French, or German)
- Through approved transfer or transient credit earned at other accredited institutions
- A combination of the above methods (e.g., placing out of or earning transfer or transient credit for 1201 and completing the 1202 course, completing 1201 and placing out of or earning transfer or transient credit for 1202)
Major Courses (56 credit hours)
Dance Technique Courses (22 credit hours)
Creative Process Courses (11 credit hours)
Dance Theory Courses (15 credit hours)
Performance and Production Courses (4 credit hours)
Restricted Elective Courses (4 credit hours)
Repeatable Dance Technique Courses
Unrestricted Elective Courses (13-27 credit hours)
As needed to reach credit hours for graduation. Students may choose to pursue a minor or second major.
Degree Total = 120 Credit Hours
All DANC courses must be completed with no more than one grade of D and a major GPA of at least 2.75. Students must also have an overall (cumulative) 2.5 GPA or above. Additionally, to meet the requirements for this concentration, a second-year review must be passed in the third semester of study.
For details about the Arts + Architecture Honors Program, visit the AAHP program page .
For the suggested course sequence toward completing the major, please see the Academic Plan of Study available online at academics.uncc.edu. Consultation with an advisor is required each semester.