May 23, 2019
The Bachelor of Music (B.M.) with a Concentration in Choral/General Music Education is designed for vocalists who wish to become public school choral directors or general music educators. The curriculum consists of 31 credit hours of General Education; 63 credit hours of studies in music, including basic musicianship and performance studies; and 29 credit hours of professional education courses that lead to a K-12 teaching license in the State of North Carolina. The culminating experiences for this degree are a Senior Recital and Student Teaching.
Freshmen and Transfers
- Minimum GPA: n/a
- Declaration of Major: Students are first admitted as Pre-Music majors. A formal audition is required for acceptance as a Music major (see the department website for audition dates). If the student is approved for acceptance after the audition, their major is changed to Music and they may proceed with major coursework. Students must indicate Music Education at the time of audition to avoid a delayed graduation date.
- Progression Requirements: All students are required to pass a Sophomore Review (typically pursued the Spring semester of a student’s second year in the program). The Sophomore Review process consists of a Musicianship Evaluation, an Applied Performance Evaluation, and an Interview. Students who fail their Sophomore Review will be eligible to initiate a new Review the following semester. Students in the major must successfully complete the Sophomore Review before enrolling in any major courses at the 3000 or 4000 level. In the same semester, students seeking K-12 Music Education licensure must earn a C or above in all MUED coursework, have a cumulative GPA of 2.75, achieve passing scores on Praxis Core (or prove exemption via test scores), and complete the Application to Teacher Education which includes a signed Professional Dispositions statement and clear criminal background check. To progress to student teaching, students must achieve a minimum 2.75 GPA in all Music and Education courses, a minimum 2.75 GPA overall, and successfully perform a Senior Recital.
- Transferable Credit Hours: Determined by UNC Charlotte Undergraduate Admissions.
General Education Courses (31 credit hours)
For details on required courses, refer to the General Education program . Both Writing Intensive (W) courses and the Oral Communications (O) course are fulfilled by courses in the major.
College Prospect for Success Course (2 credit hours)
This course is required only for new Freshmen in the College of Arts + Architecture:
Music Studies Courses (59 credit hours)
Basic Musicianship Courses (22 credit hours)
Performance Courses (23 credit hours)
- MUPF 11xx - Primary Ensembles (1) (7 semesters)
- MUPF 11xx - Secondary Ensembles (1) (2 semesters)
- MUPF 12xx - Applied Music (2) (4 semesters)
- MUPF 32xx - Advanced Applied Music (2) (2 semesters)
- MUPF 44xx - Senior Recital Preparation (2)
Other Music Studies Courses (14 credit hours)
Professional Education Courses (29 credit hours)
Unrestricted Elective Courses
As needed to complete the credit hours required for graduation.
Degree Total = 121 Credit Hours
Most music courses require grades of C or above to progress to subsequent levels of study; all required music courses must be passed with grades of C or above to graduate. For specific requirements, refer to the Department of Music Student Handbook.
For details about the Arts + Architecture Honors Program, visit the AAHP program page .