May 23, 2019
The Bachelor of Music (B.M.) with a Concentration in Jazz Studies is designed for students who are planning careers as jazz musicians. The curriculum consists of 34 credit hours of General Education as well as a Foreign Language proficiency; 56 credit hours in the Core Music Curriculum, including private lessons, ensembles, music theory, aural skills, piano, and music history; and 19-21 credit hours in Concentration Courses, including coursework in jazz improvisation, jazz arranging and composition, and jazz history. The culminating experiences for this degree are a junior and senior recital.
Freshmen and Transfers
- Minimum GPA: n/a
- Declaration of Major: Students are first admitted as Pre-Music majors. A formal audition is required for acceptance as a Music major (see the department website for audition dates). If the student is approved for acceptance after the audition, their major is changed to Music and they may proceed with major coursework.
- Progression Requirements: All students are required to pass a Sophomore Review (typically pursued the Spring semester of a student’s second year in the program). The Sophomore Review process consists of a Musicianship Evaluation, an Applied Performance Evaluation, and an Interview. Students who fail their Sophomore Review will be eligible to initiate a new Review the following semester. Students in the major must successfully complete the Sophomore Review before enrolling in any major courses at the 3000 or 4000 level.
- Transferable Credit Hours: Determined by UNC Charlotte Undergraduate Admissions.
General Education Courses (34 credit hours)
For details on required courses, refer to the General Education program . Both Writing Intensive (W) courses and the Oral Communications (O) course are fulfilled by the Music History courses in the major.
Foreign Language Requirement (0-8 credit hours)
Students in this major are required to demonstrate proficiency in the language of their choice through the 1202 level. Proficiency can be demonstrated in one of the following ways:
- Completing the required coursework at UNC Charlotte
- Completing three years of the same foreign language in high school through level three
- Achieving a satisfactory score on the foreign languages placement test (in Spanish, French, or German)
- Through approved transfer or transient credit earned at other accredited institutions
- A combination of the above methods (e.g., placing out of or earning transfer or transient credit for 1201 and completing the 1202 course, completing 1201 and placing out of or earning transfer or transient credit for 1202)
Click here for a list of courses that meet the College of Arts + Architecture’s foreign language requirement.
College Prospect for Success Course (2 credit hours)
This course is required only for new Freshmen in the College of Arts + Architecture:
Major Courses (57 credit hours)
Musicianship Courses (24 credit hours)
Performance Courses (33 credit hours)
- MUPF 11xx - Primary Ensembles (Classical) (1) (4 semesters)
- MUPF 11xx - Primary Ensembles (Jazz) (1) (8 semesters)
- MUPF 11xx - Secondary Ensembles (Jazz) (1) (4 semesters)
- MUPF 12xx - Applied Music (1) (4 semesters)
- MUPF 126x - Applied Music (Jazz) (1) (4 semesters)
- MUPF 32xx - Advanced Applied Music (Jazz) (2) (2 semesters)
- MUPF 34xx - Junior Recital Preparation (2)
- MUPF 44xx - Senior Recital Preparation (3)
Concentration Courses (19-21 credit hours)
Concentration Music Business or Technology Course (1-3 credit hours)
Select one of the following:
Unrestricted Elective Courses
As needed to complete the credit hours required for graduation.
Degree Total = 120 Credit Hours
Most music courses require grades of C or above to progress to subsequent levels of study; all required music courses must be passed with grades of C or above to graduate. For specific requirements, refer to the Department of Music Student Handbook.
For details about the Arts + Architecture Honors Program, visit the AAHP program page .