Nov 24, 2020  
Undergraduate Catalog | 2018-2019 
    
Undergraduate Catalog | 2018-2019 Previous Edition

University Seal


UNC Charlotte became the fourth campus of the University of North Carolina in July of 1965. In the fall of 1965, the new UNC Charlotte seal was chosen by a committee of students (the three upper-class presidents), three faculty members, and the school publicity director, who served as chair. Final approval was given by Acting Chancellor Bonnie Cone.

UNC Charlotte seal’s elements are: the modern arches (the tulip design from the canopy of the Kennedy Building) at the top to symbolize that this is a twentieth century university; two Cs in the middle to represent Charlotte College, from which the new campus sprang; and the pine cone at the bottom for the Old North State [land of the longleaf pine]. The date on the seal is 1946, the year in which the institution began as the Charlotte Center of the University of North Carolina.