Jun 21, 2021
Undergraduate Catalog | 2020-2021 Previous Edition
Dance, Applied Dance Concentration, B.A.
The B.A. in Dance with Concentration in Applied Dance offers a Dance major with fewer credit hours than the Performance, Choreography, and Theory concentration, in order to accommodate Dance majors who wish to pursue a second major. By pairing dance with another major, students have forged careers in dance therapy (dance and psychology), arts marketing (dance and marketing), and physical therapy for dance (dance and physical therapy).
Freshmen and Transfers
- Declaration of Major: Students may declare the major at any time.
- Progression Requirement: Students complete a formal review in their third semester for continued status in the Major in Dance.
- Transferable Credit Hours: Determined by UNC Charlotte Undergraduate Admissions.
A minimum of 120 total earned credit hours is required for the degree. The B.A. in Dance with Concentration in Applied Dance requires 46-47 credit hours of coursework in the major, plus completion of a second major. No more than 10 credit hours (five courses) may be double-counted with another major, minor, or General Education requirements.
College Prospect for Success Course (2 credit hours)
All new freshmen in the College of Arts + Architecture must take the following:
General Education Requirement (37-41 credit hours)
For details on required courses, refer to the General Education Program . One Writing Intensive (W) course is fulfilled by courses in the major. The Oral Communication (O) course may be fulfilled by courses in the major. Students in this major should take the following course that meets general education requirements and also satisfies requirements in the major:
Foreign Language Requirement (0-8 credit hours)
Students in this major are required to demonstrate proficiency in the language of their choice through the 1202 level. Proficiency can be demonstrated in one of the following ways:
- Completing the required coursework at UNC Charlotte
- Completing three years of the same foreign language in high school through level three
- Achieving a satisfactory score on the foreign languages placement test (in Spanish, French, or German)
- Through approved transfer or transient credit earned at a college or university accredited by an accepted accrediting body
- A combination of the above methods (e.g., placing out of or earning transfer or transient credit for 1201 and completing the 1202 course, completing 1201 and placing out of or earning transfer or transient credit for 1202)
Click here for a list of courses that meet the College of Arts + Architecture’s foreign language requirement.
Major Courses (43-44 credit hours)
Movement Practice Courses (22-23 credit hours)
African Diaspora Courses (6 credit hours)
Ballet Courses (6 credit hours)
Modern Dance Courses (6 credit hours)
Advanced Movement Practice Courses (4-5 credit hours)
Select one area of focus and complete both courses in that area:
Advanced African Diaspora Dance Courses (5 credit hours)
Advanced Ballet Courses (4 credit hours)
Advanced Modern Dance Courses (4 credit hours)
Creative Process Courses (8 credit hours)
Dance Theory Courses (9 credit hours)
Performance and Production Courses (2 credit hours)
Music Fundamentals Course (2 credit hours)
Restricted Elective Courses (30 credit hours)
Select 30 credit hours outside the Department of Dance leading to a second major.
Unrestricted Elective Courses
As needed to complete the credit hours required for graduation.
Degree Total = 120 Credit Hours
All DANC courses must be completed with no more than one grade of D and a major GPA of at least 2.75. Students must also have an overall (cumulative) 2.5 GPA or above.