Sep 28, 2021
The Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Art History requires 120 credit hours.
Freshmen and Transfers
- Minimum GPA: 2.0
- Other: There is no portfolio submission to apply for this major.
- Declaration of Major: Students declare a Major in Art History by indicating this on the application to UNC Charlotte, or by filling out a Change of Major form to record Art History major status. Students already enrolled at UNC Charlotte must meet with the departmental Academic Advisor prior to declaring the major.
- Transferable Credit Hours: Determined by UNC Charlotte Undergraduate Admissions. Students seeking to apply coursework taken at other institutions to the Art History major must provide copies of the official course description and a syllabus for each course requested for consideration.
Matriculated and transfer students who do not meet requirements for admission to the program because of special circumstances may petition the Art History Faculty for acceptance into the program.
College Prospect for Success Course (2 credit hours)
All new freshmen in the College of Arts + Architecture must take the following:
Foreign Language Requirement (0-8 credit hours)
Students in this major are required to demonstrate proficiency in the language of their choice through the 1202 level. Proficiency can be demonstrated in one of the following ways:
- Completing the required coursework at UNC Charlotte
- Completing three years of the same foreign language in high school through level three
- Achieving a satisfactory score on the foreign languages placement test (in Spanish, French, or German)
- Through approved transfer or transient credit earned at a college or university accredited by an accepted accrediting body
- A combination of the above methods (e.g., placing out of or earning transfer or transient credit for 1201 and completing the 1202 course, completing 1201 and placing out of or earning transfer or transient credit for 1202)
Click here for a list of courses that meet the College of Arts + Architecture’s foreign language requirement.
Major Courses (15 credit hours)
ARTH 1211 and ARTH 1212 are normally taken in the Freshman year; ARTH 2110 and ARTH 2614 are normally taken in the Sophomore year or as soon as possible after declaring the major. ARTH 3114 or ARTH 3115 (taught simultaneously) may be taken once the other major courses have been completed.
Restricted Elective Courses (18 credit hours)
Select from at least four different content areas listed below. A maximum of 6 credit hours of 2000-level courses is permitted.
Pre-Columbian Art Elective Courses
African Art Elective Courses
Ancient Art Elective Courses
Early Modern Art Elective Courses
Modern and Contemporary Art Elective Courses
Senior Seminar (3 credit hours)
Select one of the following:
Related Courses (3 credit hours)
Select one of the following*:
*Any other course must be preapproved by the Coordinator of Art History and the Department Chair.
Unrestricted Elective Courses (41-47 credit hours)
As needed to complete the credit hours required for graduation.
Degree Total = 120 Credit Hours
All Art, Graphic Design, and Art History majors are required to meet with the Academic Advisor in the Department of Art and Art History each semester. Students will not be able to register for any course at UNC Charlotte without attending the mandatory advising meetings. The Academic Advisor is available year-round.
Career mentoring in studio, graphic design, art history, and art education is offered by individual faculty members who are active professionals in those areas of study. Contact is best done by email or telephone. Most professors are available for appointments from the first day of classes until the last day of classes each Fall and Spring semester. Requirements for degrees and minors, as well as 4-year B.F.A. calendars, are available in the Department of Art and Art History office and online at art.uncc.edu.
Students seeking to confirm that General Education graduation requirements are met should use the automated DegreeWorks system online in My UNC Charlotte. Those seeking confirmation of Art requirements must contact the Academic Advisor.
Students must receive a grade of D or above in all courses applied to the major. Students cannot advance to the next course in a sequence until a grade of D or above is earned in prerequisite courses. Students must also meet the University’s minimum 2.0 major GPA requirement to graduate.
For details about the Honors Program in Art History, visit the program page .
All transfer courses are automatically reviewed by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Students seeking to appeal the official transfer designations for ARTx courses must provide the Department Academic Advisor with copies of the official course descriptions and a syllabus for each course requested for consideration. Portfolios of creative work from each of the individual studio courses may also be required.