M.S. in Architecture applicants must identify a potential research focus to be articulated as a part of their application in the Statement of Purpose. In addition to identifying a potential research focus, admission is based on an applicant’s previous academic credentials, GRE scores, TOEFL scores (for international students), and a portfolio of material illustrative of the applicant’s research interests such as reports, writing samples, computational models, etc.).
The minimum admission requirements for the M.S. in Architecture at UNC Charlotte are:
- An earned bachelor’s degree from a college or university accredited by an accepted accrediting body
- An overall undergraduate GPA of at least a 3.0 (based on a 4.0 scale)
- SoA UNC Charlotte B.Arch or M.Arch degree holders with a 3.5 GPA or above are eligible to be considered for admission to the M.S. in Architecture by submitting the Graduate School application and Statement of Purpose
- A minimum TOEFL score of 220 (computer-based), 557 (paper-based), or 83 (Internet-based) or a minimum IELTS band score of 6.5 required from any applicant whose native language is not English
- Satisfactory scores on the GRE or GMAT
The above admission requirements include the minimum admission standards for the UNC Charlotte Graduate School.
Documents To Be Submitted For Admission
Application to the M.S. in Architecture follows existing Graduate School and School of Architecture admissions processes. The UNC Charlotte application process is completely online.
To apply for graduate studies in the School of Architecture, all applicants must submit the following application materials to the UNC Charlotte Office of Graduate Admissions :
- Graduate School Application for Admission (online)
- Application Fee (payable online)
- Unofficial transcripts from all previous college-level institution(s) attended (submitted online)
- Official TOEFL scores
- A minimum TOEFL score of 220 (computer-based), 557 (paper-based), or 83 (internet-based) or a minimum IELTS band score of 6.5 required from any applicant whose native language is not English
- A statement of purpose (essay indicating research interest and potential faculty advisor) submitted online as part of the application submission process
- Three recommendations (submitted online by recommenders)
- Official GRE or GMAT scores
- A resume (submitted online)
- Digital Portfolio (20-page PDF document submitted online; this portfolio may include samples of writing, research, computation, and/or design-based projects)
- SoA UNC Charlotte B.Arch or M.Arch degree holders with a 3.5 GPA or above are eligible to be recommended for automatic admission to the School of Architecture and are not required to submit separate application materials such as a portfolio